I’ve been dusting off and re-publishing this list of 20 reflection questions for the close of a year for the last ten years — almost as long as this blog has existed. It’s quite appropriate that it should be the last post! Here it is again for you to use during the current year, and next year, and thereafter…
It’s time for our annual 20 questions! I reintroduce it around New Year’s Eve every year, and I like hearing about how you all use it. After several years of tweaking and modifying this list, I’ve finally decided on a decent master list of solid questions to assist you in reflecting on the previous year.
Take some time to reflect, consider, and meditate as you close out this new year and move on to the next. It’s easy to rush ahead after drinking eggnog, cleaning your system of all the holiday excesses. I’m a forward-thinking person, so I like planning, goal-setting, and getting excited about the future
Use a pair of pliers to gently remove the grime from your brake. For a few days, ease your foot into the brakes gradually. Give yourself time and space to reflect on how things have changed in the past year.
I’m all for getting started on a new year with optimism, coming up with ideas, looking for that one special term, or whatever helps you clear out the cobwebs in the corners. But this is much more meaningful when you remember your past misfortunes.
20 Questions for New Year’s Eve
- What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
- What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
- What was an unexpected joy this past year?
- What was an unexpected obstacle?
- Pick three words to describe this past year.
- Pick three words your partner or close friend would use to describe your year.
- Pick three words your partner or close friend would use to describe their year.
- What were the best books you read this year?
- Who were your most valuable relationships with?
- What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
- In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
- In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
- In what way(s) did you grow physically?
- In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
- What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
- What was the best way you used your time this past year?
- What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
- Create a phrase or statement that describes this past year for you.